447 Race Street was originally home to the Phillips Hardware Company, which was begun in 1904. A huge fire on July 31, 1910, destroyed the original location (across the street), and the Phillips family built an entire new building on the former site of Mary E. Winterbottom’s house. Among other things, Phillips Hardware sold buggies, wagons, stoves, paint, and toys. Though the location was later filled by Dollar General, an art gallery, and a performance venue, the Phillips Hardware Co. name is still at the top of the buildin
The Spy Newspapers may periodically employ the assistance of artificial intelligence (AI) to enhance the clarity and accuracy of our content.