John Horne laid out the land known as Horn Point (or Horn’s Point) in the middle of the 17th century. By the early 19th century, it had become the property of Maryland Governor Charles Goldsborough. James Steele owned Horn Point by 1877. In 1912, it was purchased as a hunting lodge by T. Coleman duPont, a U.S. Senator, industrialist, and pioneer in modern road building. The original house (pictured) burned in 1948 and was rebuilt. The duPont family sold Horn Point for $5 in 1956 to the City of Cambridge, who sold it in 1971 for $10 to the Maryland Board of Public Works for use by the University of Maryland as an environmental educational facility. The Horn Point Laboratory engages in research on the biology, chemistry, physics, and ecology of organisms and ecosystems from the wetlands and estuaries of the Chesapeake Bay to the continental shelf and the world’s oceans.
The Spy Newspapers may periodically employ the assistance of artificial intelligence (AI) to enhance the clarity and accuracy of our content.