The small park beside the Dorchester County Courthouse in Cambridge is called Spring Valley, after a spring there that provided drinking water in early times. At some point a domed, circular structure was built over the spring. In the 1890s a cast iron fountain was placed in a round basin in Spring Valley. The spring house was demolished in the early 1900s and a wooden, Victorian-style pavilion was put in its place. That structure was replaced in 1952 by a brick platform.
Write a Letter to the Editor on this Article
We encourage readers to offer their point of view on this article by submitting the following form. Editing is sometimes necessary and is done at the discretion of the editorial staff.