The National Bank of Cambridge started its operations out of the sheriff’s office in the courthouse in 1880 but moved the next year into its own building on High Street. After that structure was destroyed by fire in 1892, J. Benjamin Brown erected the Romanesque Revival-style building at 304 High (seen above). During the Great Depression, it was the only bank on the Eastern Shore to operate as usual, paying depositors dollar for dollar. The building is now operated by BayVanguard Bank.
The Spy Newspapers may periodically employ the assistance of artificial intelligence (AI) to enhance the clarity and accuracy of our content.